Biomedical Information Retrieval (2017 – Present)
Details coming soon….
Group Decision Support Systems for Clinicians (Summer 2017)
During Summer 2017, I was a research assistant at Johns Hopkins Medicine under the supervision of Dr. Casey Overby. As a part of my internship experience, I worked on a project which aimed to improve the decision support for communicating genomic data. The group of researchers I worked with explored user-centered tools for communicating big data in healthcare. With the growing number of clinical practice guidelines in precision medicine, updating these guildines requires an involvement of multiple stakeholders. That would be a time consuming process. Mitigating this challenge requires developing computerized tools in order to maintain high quality and relevant updates in a timely manner. My contribution to this project was running user studies and evaluating the prototype designed in term of the functionalities that support collaborative workplace.
Q&A Online Communities (2016 – 2017)
This project was a part of a course I registered for on Online Communities with the goal of gaining hands-on experience through conducting a social study in the context of online platforms and designing a system to support users’ needs. This social study aimed to explore types of health information requested by users, and how health consumers express their needs by analyzing health-related questions on popular social Q&A platform, Yahoo! Answers and Quora. Three thousands questions were crawled for the last 9 years, 2006 – 2015 on chronic kidney disease (CKD) related information. Then, I analyzed these questions based on contents and defined common themes of information needs and types of information provided accordingly. I plan to extend this work beyond the contents to examine user roles and their characteristics and activity patterns on social Q&A communities.
Following the social Q&A project, I also was inspired to design a prototype that support location-based questioning and answering (Q&A) mobile devices. I have done that as a as an independent study. Q&A sites have provided a new way for users to crowdsource the search for specific information. This research aimed to improve users’ navigation in unfamiliar places using mobile handled devices by investigating the effects of photo-based answers and map-based representations on answers’ usefulness and users’ satisfaction.
Personalized Health Education and Telegram Bot (2017)
On my way of exploring Consumer Health Informatics, I got involved with a research group under supervision of Dr. Luis Fernandez-Luque at Qatar Research Computing Institute (QRCI). This project is on the context of buildings personalized health tool to empower patients. Particularly, this project aims to enhance health education of mothers within an obesity intervention for Children.
Support Mobile Web Search (2015 – 2016)
In this partially National Science Foundation (NSF) -funded research project, lead by Dr Lina Zhou and Dr. Dongsong Zhang at UMBC, we aimed to improve user performance and interaction in mobile web search. In particular, this study examines the effect of different types of information visualization and moderating effect of search task type on search efficiency, search effectiveness and navigation efficiency. In order to do that, I developed four mobile web search systems that reflect four combinations of different representation settings. Then, I empirically evaluated the prototypes using a controlled experiment which involved a mixture of quantitative and qualitative methods. The research project resulted in two publications, one was presented at the ACM conference on MobileHCI in 2015 and the second was published at International Journal of Human‐Computer Interaction in 2017. Below is the poster of the preliminary stage of the project.
Online Searching in a Foreign Language (2016)
In this Google funded research project lead by Dr Anita Komlodi at UMBC, I was interested to explore the search behavior and challenges of non-native speakers of English when searching in English language with a strong disparity exists between the language distribution of Web content and the representation of speakers of different languages among Web users. In particular, we examined the search behaviors of Arab speakers when searching online in English and measure the differences when searching in Arabic vs. in English. In this research, I used qualitative methods including diary studies, focus groups, and interviews. Early version of the results can be found in this presentation (slides). The results of this research were presented at iConference 2016 and the paper can be found (here).
This capstone project was for my undergraduate under the supervision of Dr. Mohammed Ramadan. With my colleagues, we created a website titled ‘Give a Blood, Save a Life’ with large database that helped people who needed blood and gave an opportunity to donate in Abha, Aseer.